What a good question, Christine.  I've always thought that popcorn was
mostly "empty calories" so not that great as an offering for birds.

However, I gotta like Mike's experience.give the rabble a distraction and
feed the good stuff to the good birds. (I know, I know.)

I don't know how the blood pressure of a starling might be affected by the
salt content of microwave popcorn.  The fats shouldn't be an issue, since we
often feed high fat content (suet lard, shortening etc) to the birds.  But
if you can, you might as well offer air-popped corn.  Takes less effort than
shaking a skillet, anyway, and won't use up your oil.

Cornell says popcorn is an OK choice to supplement your normal bird food
choices.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/BirdFoods.htm    I
also ran across a site that mentioned now much Baltimore orioles loved
popcorn, and it was their favorite when they came around.  I haven't tried
it.forgot last year, but I'll try to remember this April when the jelly goes
out.  A few of my orioles eat fine sunflower chips from my finch feeders, so
I know they'll eat some seed.  However, when I HAVE thrown out some popcorn
in the winter (extra from making caramel corn) I don't think anyone ate it.
Maybe I need to add the butter. ;-)

Heidi McCullough
Kansas City, North