I've had American Tree Sparrow twice before in my yard, both times later in the year.  Now I have only one that I see at a time mixed in with the other ground feeders.  I can account for the missing house finches, though.  Also I was without goldfinches until the snow and ice came; now my feeder ports are full.  I am much shorter of woodpeckers than usual, only a downy and a red-belly.

Dency Kahn
Olivette, St. Louis County
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Judy Bergmann
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 7:56 PM
  Subject: Re: American Tree Sparrows are now yard birds

  MoBirders:

  American Tree Sparrows are an uncommon yard bird here also, but I had one show up about a week ago and now have 15 or more every day.  We have thick ice where I live in St. Francois County.  I  counted 9 Fox Sparrows this evening, more than 50 Goldfinches, as many Juncos, and 45+ Mourning Doves.  Also have 2 Brown Creepers now (I scrape a little suet on tree trunks for them), many Woodpeckers (Hairy, Downy, Red-Bellied, Flickers), Song Sparrows, WT Sparrows, Purple Finches.

  Interestingly, I have not had a single House Finch all winter.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  And the Pileateds that came last winter came only one time during this icy spell and have not reappeared.  Guess they have enough natural food?
  I have a pair of Carolina Wrens along with the usual WB Nuthatches, Titmice, etc.

  Judy Bergmann
   Rural Bonne Terre
  St. Francois Co.