My feeders are also very busy this morning --- with “waiting lines” in most of the nearby trees; a few birds getting a little testy with the “cut ins”.   I have probably had 30-40 goldfinches feeding at one time; both species of nuthatches, juncos, purple and house finches, and one very lonely looking robin.   My very fickle pine siskins have not shown up yet;  they will be sorry if the wait too long!  Strangely, none of my woodpeckers have put in an appearance.  Hope to duck out in the next hour and re-fill; might be that last time I venture forth until tomorrow afternoon.   They have almost emptied my heated birdbath.  And, yes, a few of the finches are beginning to color up.

Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of June Newman
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 11:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: feeder chatter

It is snowing and blowing in Carrollton, with increasing intensity,
and the feeders are busier than they have been since I moved here.
My feeders are in an exposed place with the only cover 100 yards or
so away, a condition I'm planning to correct, but it limits use.  So
I was happy this morning to see both White-crowned and White-throated
Sparrows foraging on the ground.

A few of the American Gold Finches are appearing brighter in color.
Is that just my imagination?

June Newman
Carrollton, MO