A good friend of mine called this evening quite upset by something he
witnessed at Columbia Bottoms CA this evening.  He was there, hoping to
catch a glimpse of the SEOW that has been seen off and on there.  From his
description, sounds like several others had the same idea, all hoping to see
this wonderful owl.

He witnessed someone walk out into the field where the Owl was sitting, and
it flushed up, and flew further away back into the field.  My friend had been
observing this area since 1:00 p.m. today, and was enjoying the time
watching the Harriers, etc...and all the nice folks hoping to see the Owl.

He was quite surprised to see someone walk out into the field and disrupt the
Owl.  Whether the flushing was intentional or not, I thought it should be
brought up.  IF the Owl is flushed, or feels pressured, it will not likely stick
around.  I sure hope this was incidental, but even that, can disrupt the Owl,
which is obviously hunting hard with the winter we are having.  Just wanted
to remind folks to give the owls some room to hunt and do what they need to
do.

Situations like this, and worse, are why many List Serves no longer post
locations of such Owls publically.

Jason G. Harrison
Troy, Mo

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/