I agree with Ryan about the need to increase the use of the
"comments" section for SPARKS and CACHE entries, for the reasons
stated and for potential future use of the records in CACHE/SPARKS by
researchers, managers and birders.

I do want to make a slight correction to Ryan's example.  Ryan used a
Carolina Chickadee at a northern Missouri site as an example of birds
not being flagged in the CACHE/SPARKS database.

This is in error in two ways:

1.  Several species ARE flagged in the CACHE/SPARKS database and the
data entry person is contacted by Mike Thelen about the entry.

2.  Carolina/Black-capped Chickadee is particularly problematic in
Missouri, so these species are routinely flagged in several counties
and the data enterer contacted.  Comments as to what determined the
i.d. of one or the other should always be included in the contact
zone counties.

  If a CACH were reported in Macon County, "bells would go off" among
those who monitor the database.

Edge Wade
ASM Conservation Coordinator