I  admit this post has nothing to do with birds in  Missouri and is a
blatent plug for birding in the great country of Colombia.(The  country with the
highest number of bird species in the world)
Unfortunately there is still the wide spread belief out there among birders
that  Colombia isnt safe.Yeah,there are some spots that one should avoid
or travel with a heightened awareness in but the  overwhelming vast majority
of the country is fine for travel and  birding
The number of endemic species is pretty mind  blowing
Its a place a visiting birder can come  to and actually add to the
ornithological knowledge and data base of the  country!
Several birding related travel companies   have been offering tours for a
while  now or,with a little advanced  planning.Some phone calls.... one can
go the "solo" route easy  enough like I did.
Myself and some friends most recent  trip was up along the north coast
starting in Barranquilla and included the  Santa Marta mts and areas in the
Guajira pennisula along the Venezuelan  border(recorded 350 species in 6  days)

Anyway, anyone interested  in  a recent trip report or contacts in Colombia
for  birding feel free to send me an e- mail

Mike  Brady
Ballwin,MO

http://mobirds.org/