WHAT:     St. Louis area field trip, full day to about 4:00 (or less,
if you need to leave), sponsored by St. Louis Audubon Society.

WHEN:     Saturday, February 5

WHERE:   Meet at Teal Pond parking lot, Riverlands.  From the north
side of I-270 in north St. Louis County, take MO-367 north (signed to
Alton).  Cross the Missouri River and continue past the stoplight at
MO-94.  Just before you reach the bridge over the Mississippi to
Alton, turn right at the gas station. Go straight past the station to
the intersection with Wise Road, just beyond the pond; turn right
there and go a short distance to the parking lot.

MEETING TIME:   8:00 a.m.

TENTATIVE PLAN:   We will consolidate cars as best we can and proceed
to a series of vantage points around the Riverlands area, with
special attention to waterfowl and gulls if we can find them.  This
will include a visit to the dam area on the Illinois side.  Around
noon we will break for lunch at McDonald's; those who don't care for
this plan may bring their own lunch.

After lunch (if not before) we will move on to Columbia Bottom
Conservation Area for field birds, raptors, and anything else we can
find.  Some of us may remain in the field until 4:00 or 4:30, but of
course anyone may leave at any point.

WHO:   Everyone is welcome, whether a member of St. Louis Audubon
Society or not.

CONDITIONS:  Please dress appropriately for whatever weather is
predicted.  At this point it looks to be sunny and seasonably cold.
Since we appear to have dodged the prediction of heavy snow on
Tuesday night and Wednesday, I am making the optimistic assumption
that we will be able to drive around the target areas -- so I'll see
you there!

Bill Rowe
St. Louis
rowe at tjs.org