Bob Kleiger, Kent Lannart, and I traveled around the area today.   We started in Forest Park near the Steinberg Rink where we easily refound the birds reported by Phyllis Weidman yesterday.  We had an American Widgeon and three male Wood Ducks, besides Mallards, Gadwall, a Shoveler, and a Pied-billed Grebe.  We then went to TGP.  At the Gaddy Garden, there were the expected Juncos and White-throated Sparrows, but also some Fox Sparrows.  In the pines across from the stables, Kent, with his usual efficency found one of the Great-Horned Owls.  Near there we also had a Hairy Woodpecker.  Near the house on Magnolia there were Golden-crowned Kinglets, lots of sparrows and normal feeder birds.  From there we went to Horseshoe Lake in Granite City.  At the borrow pits there were lots of distant gulls and a large number of Canada Geese.  We could not find anything unusual.  In the nearby fields were even more geese including a few that might have been Cackling Geese.  There were also large numbers of Gadwall and some Mallards feeding there.  Along Bend Rd. near the lake were large numbers of American Crows.  Among them we found one that was repeatedly giving the characteristic Ca-Ca call of Fish Crow.  There were lots of gulls on the ice, but we could not find anything unusual.  Near where the road ends at the lake there was a fair amount of open water with ducks.  Most Common Mergansers and Goldeneye, but also some Ruddy Ducks and even more Canada Geese.  As we looking over the local sparrows, we heard high pitched goose calls.   Two flocks of a total of at least 200 White-fronted Geese flew over.  They showed no signs of stopping and there was no way to tell where they were going or had come from.  On the way out we a few Yellow-rumped Warblers feeding among the sparrows.  After lunch we birded Columbia Bottom.  The best birds were several good sightings of Pileated Woodpecker.  There were also the usual Red-tailed Hawks including too dark-morph individuals.  A short visit to Riverlands did not produce much new, but there were Greater Scaup in th small patch of open water in Ellis Bay near the islands.  When a Northern Harrier flushed the ducks in the corn at the duck club near the  beginning of Confluence Road the majority were Mallards, but there were quite a few Pintials mixed in.

David Becher
Saint Louis
http://mobirds.org/