The WGNSS Saturday group made their first stop at Bryan Island Stables on Missouri Bottom Road.  The Great-tailed Grackles were sitting in the trees in front of the house.  Our next stop was the area of Church and Dwyer for Rusty Blackbirds and Common Grackles.  There were also Red-headed Woodpeckers and Northern Flickers there among other birds.  A trip through Saint Charles Co. on various roads produced numerous groups of Horned Larks and lots of assorted roadside sparrows, but no Longspurs or other rarities.  A quick stop near REDA produced one Lapland in a small flock of Horned Larks along Red School Road.  There was no sign of the Rough-legged Hawk along the road where I had seen it the day before, but I assume it is still in the area.  I noted when I first saw it that from the rear the longer wings were obvious.  They almost totally covered the tail, unlike the wings of a Red-tailed Hawk which leave much of the tail exposed.
At Columbia Bottom we had a group of about six Laplands in another flock of Horned Larks.  There were also the usual sparrows and such around, but nothing too extraordinary.  There were two Carolina Wrens at the feeders and a Brown-headed Cowbird.  Some of the group had a fly over Pileated Woodpecker as well.

David Becher
Saint Louis