Thank you everyone who answered my question about cage feeders on the
list and to me off list.  Everyone reported that small birds will use
a cage feeder when they get used to it.  The ports must be far enough
from the wire mesh that large birds cannot reach it--the length of
your index finger.

Most of you, but not all,  have starlings and grackles that don't
especially care for safflower seed. I don't care for its price, but
might try some.

Some feed dog or cat food because Starlings, Grackles, and Blue Jays
prefer it to traditional bird seed.

If anyone wants more detail about the suggestions  that came
personally to me, email me, off list, please, and I'll send them to you.

June Newman
Carrollton, MO