From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Joshua Uffman
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 8:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: GCSP Update from Steve Dilks - Jan. 23

From Stephen Dilks for Sunday, Jan. 23:

I saw the golden-crowned sparrow and the spotted towhee three times
yesterday (Sunday, Jan. 23).  At about 8 am, close to noon, and after 4 pm.
The rest of the time it was about 150 grackles.  They feed all day and other
birds hang on the branches waiting for the chance.  It has been suggested
that I put up a scarecrow.  I might try it this weekend, but I wouldn't want
it to scare the other birds.  In the meantime, I will have no idea if the
sparrow shows up during the week.  I am certain that if someone is here on
the deck, that it will keep the grackles away and the other birds will begin
coming in.  Just have patience and the sparrow and towhee will both show up.

Note:  No update for today, Jan. 24, but I bet that is because Steve had to
work and was not able to watch the feeders.

Directions:

The bird is in Linn, MO (Osage County).  You can see a map here that Steve
prepared for all those interested:
<http://www.pbase.com/jpuf/image/131715108>
http://www.pbase.com/jpuf/image/131715108

Josh, for Steve Dilks