The birder in me is really enjoying all the memories about the Smew and Barrow's Goldeneye. Ten years ago I was just waking up to this obsession, and I hadn't yet discovered Riverlands, or MOBirds-L for that matter, so I greatly appreciate hearing about this chapter in birding history. Thank you all for sharing!

The list-owner in me feels compelled to remind you all to please give your posts clear subject lines. . I realize that the Smew's appearance at Riverlands transcended a mere sighting and became an event unto itself, but nevertheless, posts with titles like "Smew" or "Smew Sighting" might very well get folks really excited under somewhat false pretenses. Please remember to include in your subject line "NO SIGHTING," or whatever explanatory words you feel will communicate your topic to a reader who might have just joined us.

Thanks again for all the great posts!

Dave Scheu

MOBirds-L list co-owner

St. Louis, MO