From: Stephen Reese <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: REDA Smew - 10th "anniversary
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, January 17, 2011, 7:51 AM

I wasn't going to comment on the 10th anniversary of the Smew until I read all of the posts.  I had just retired from Southwestern Bell (Now AT&T) and called my friends to see if they were interested in traveling to St. Louis to see a European Merganser.

John Harter, John Burwell, Kyle Driggers, Sam Aylett and myself made the journey in mid-late January.  We saw the critter in the river and later in the inlet.  The bird was cool as were the 100 Bald Eagles I saw on the trip.  Sixty were roosting in the tree line north of the bridge ( I guess it was north, could have been west) and 40 in the tree line on the south.  I now tell my high school students this story about the wayward bird and the eagles.  They like Eagle part best.

Steve Reese
Lee's Summit, Mo.