We took a farewell walk around "our" resaca this morning for last views of regulars there--anhinga, Black-crowned Night-herons (saw 12--all of whom remained perversely hidden the day I took Kathleen and Harold around the resaca), both species of cormorant, Least and Pied-billed Grebes, Wilson's and Black-throated Green Warblers vying for attention with the ubiquitous Orange-crowned and Yellow-rumps.  Laughing Gulls swept overhead and kiskadees and kingbirds bobbed in the treetops.  One black-crested Titmouse drew our attention with loud calls, perhaps louder than usual as he was jubilant over the increased activity of insects as the weather is beginning to improve.

For the afternoon "last field trip" we drove to Laguna Atascosa NWR to walk the trails, watch the feeders and drive the Bayside Loop.  On the way we watched Harris's and White-tailed Hawks.  On the bay, Roseate Spoonbills were cotton candy pink, Reddish Egrets (including two white morphs) were doing great imitations of drunken Snowy Egrets.  We found the first Piping Plover of the trip.  Hooded Orioles were at the feeders, along with Green Jays and Long-billed Thrashers.  It was a delightful array of avian diversity; a fine finale to Valley birding.

Edge Wade
Brownsville, TX

http://mobirds.org/