I did a southeastern Pike Co. birding loop today, with the highlight being 2
Short-eared Owls at Clarence Cannon NWR. Otherwise things were pretty slow.

I started at a brand-new Corp of Engineers site called "Calumet Creek
Natural Area" (no affiliation, to my knowledge, with MDC's Natural Areas
programs) outside of Clarksville. The area has potential but for now the
existing trails only go through some young bottomland forest that was ho-hum
today. Trails are set to be expanded into the wooded hills but a date is not
given. Only real highlight here was my first-of-year Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker.

Next was the Clarksville Lock and Dam #24. Everything north of Clarksville
was iced over, but the open water below the dam was very slow. Only about
100 Ring-billed Gulls and almost no eagles. Only waterfowl seen were flying
overhead.

Clarence Cannon NWR produced a Short-eared Owl upon arrival, and there was
at least one more present as well. Also about 10 Northern Harriers out and
about there too. One of the SEOW's passed about 5-6 feet over the windshield
while I was sitting and watching. Pretty cool!

Phil Wire
Bowling Green, Pike Co.