Sorry, just checked my Europe notes and it was actually Feb 99, not 2000 that I saw my life Smews followed by the REDA bird.

Jackie Chain

--- On Fri, 1/14/11, Jackie Chain <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Jackie Chain <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: REDA Smew - 10th "anniversary"
To: "Charlene Malone" <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: "MOBIRDS-L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, January 14, 2011, 8:32 AM

The winter before I had taken a 5-day birding trip to the Netherlands called the Wild Goose Chase due to the large number of goose species there in the winter.  My choice of the trip however was to see Smews and the geese and swans were wonderful extras.

Jean Cook got back here from her Arizona wintering grounds to see the Smew for her then week of annual doctors appointments.  She saw the Smew, but I don't recall if she missed your Barrow's or got the Barrow's and missed the adult male White-winged Scoter that was also around..  It was indeed a fun crazy time.  Thanks Charlene for reminding me of the anniversary.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County
[log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]