After getting inspired by Al Smith's photos, I drove out to Linn, MO this morning to Steve Dilks backyard. I was there from 10-11am and the Golden Crowned showed up twice. A lifer for me! The bird looks like an "ordinary" sparrow with the naked eye, so you need to look at each individual bird with the binoculars to see the gold on the top of its head. There were easily 100-200 birds feeding in Steve's backyard, but the birds were so skiddish, they would all fly away with every noise. Big trucks scared them away every time, but a neighborhood dog barked and they all flew off, also. The GC was seen both times near the platfom feeder. The Spotted Towhee put on quite a show. He is easy to spot and usually stays alone. When all the other birds would fly away, he would run and hide under the big silver propane tank.
Many other species were there: WT and WC sparrows, Juncos, Purple and some House finches, Goldfinches, Bluejays and Cardinals. It is almost worth the trip out there to see all the Purple Finches in Steve's yard.
Good Luck,
Dave Pierce
St. Louis County

--
D. Pierce
Senior Dogs 4 Seniors

 “To the world you are just one person; to a rescued pet you are the WORLD.”