I spent a little over an hour driving around Smithville Lake this morning looking for Doug's Black-throated Sparrow. With temps at 10F, if there were any birds in the Little Platte boat launch / marina area, they were hunkered down and unresponsive to pishing.

A better flock of mixed sparrows was feeding along the roadside on F Hwy just north of the turnoff to Little Platte Park, but nothing unusual. I also noted good numbers of American Tree Sparrows and juncos in the grass on either side of road into the Paradise Point Golf Course, but again, they were unresponsive to pishing and stayed hunkered down out of sight.

As expected, the lake is 99.9% frozen with Canada Goose flocks keeping a few tiny pools open. The only gulls I saw were two Ring-billed Gulls at Camp Branch Marina.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney MO (Clay Co.)