Kyle McCommis and I went to several lakes in north-central Missouri today. I don't recall the exact numbers for each species since Kyle is inputting all of our checklists into eBird (a great feature of eBird is the ability to share checklists with friends so 4 people don't have to input the same thing!), but I think I still recall the major points.

We started at Binder Lake in Cole County at 7:30am. We were able to find the LONG-TAILED DUCK between the dam and boat ramp near shore. We also counted 42 TRUMPETER SWANS and 44 RING-BILLED GULLS (fly-overs). Other ducks on the lake included RUDDY DUCK, CANVASBACK, GADWALL, COMMON GOLDENEYE, RING-NECKED DUCK, MALLARD, and LESSER SCAUP.

Next, we drove up to Long Branch State Park in Macon County. We were able to quickly relocated two LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS and the GLAUCOUS GULL amongst the RING-BILLED and HERRING GULLS. I tried very hard to find an Iceland and/or Thayer's Gull, but had no luck. I was surprised by how few non-adult gulls were present. There were no Snow Buntings on the breakwater. The lake also had a few BALD EAGLES, COMMON MERGANSERS and HOODED MERGANSERS.

A quick stop at Macon Lake yielded mostly the same birds as at Long Branch, but in lesser numbers. The only additions were PILEATED WOODPECKER and COMMON GOLDENEYE.

To end the day we opted to visit Thomas Hill Reservoir in Randolph County. Despite being entirely open south of the Rt. T causeway, there were almost no birds on the water. We saw a few RING-BILLED GULLS, MALLARDS and a couple HOODED MERGANSERS, but that was it. Just east of the causeway we saw several RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS, a few FOX SPARROWS and a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER amongst the usual birds. A little further south we found a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK on Rt. F.

On the drive back to Columbia a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was perched in a tree alongside US-63 just north of 124.

Some grainy photos from the day can be seen here: http://picasaweb.google.com/rndouglas/2011Animals

Kyle may have more to add...we saw a lot of birds today!

Cheers,
Ryan
Columbia, Boone Co.

Ryan Douglas