Call for Papers

Metamorphoses: Goethe and Change

The Atkins Goethe Conference
3-6 November 2011, Chicago

The Goethezeit was a time of momentous innovations, radical paradigm shifts, and revolutionary changes. Throughout his life, Goethe adopted many different attitudes toward change. He experienced it actively and passively, contributed to it, but at times he also sought to stem the tide and remain at a distance from contemporary events.

This conference explores how Goethe’s works respond to contemporary changes and to change in general. Papers might address changes in the economic, political, military, social, literary, aesthetic, philosophical, and scientific arenas. They might also ask how our present experience of change impacts our understanding of change around 1800.

Organized by the Goethe Society of North America, the conference will feature two full days of panels and keynote lectures by Dieter Borchmeyer and David Wellbery. We are extremely grateful to Mr. Stuart Atkins for his generous support of this conference in honor of the memory of his parents, Lillian and Stuart P. Atkins. We are also grateful to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at UIC for its support of this conference.

Proposals are due 7 March 2011. The organizers encourage interested participants to submit individual papers or papers grouped together by theme into a panel consisting of three papers. If submitting a paper for a panel, please include the proposed title of the panel and the names of the other participants in your submission. Please note that each paper must be uploaded separately. You will hear by 4 April whether your proposal has been accepted.

To submit a conference proposal, please click on the link and follow the instructions: http://www2.las.uic.edu/depts/germ/pat/.