Call for Papers

Metamorphoses: Goethe and Change

The Atkins Goethe Conference
3-6 November 2011, Chicago

The Goethezeit was a time of momentous innovations, radical paradigm
shifts, and revolutionary changes. Throughout his life, Goethe adopted
many different attitudes toward change. He experienced it actively and
passively, contributed to it, but at times he also sought to stem the
tide and remain at a distance from contemporary events.

This conference explores how Goethe’s works respond to contemporary
changes and to change in general. Papers might address changes in the
economic, political, military, social, literary, aesthetic,
philosophical, and scientific arenas. They might also ask how our
present experience of change impacts our understanding of change
around 1800.

Organized by the Goethe Society of North America, the conference will
feature two full days of panels and keynote lectures by Dieter
Borchmeyer and David Wellbery. We are extremely grateful to Mr. Stuart
Atkins for his generous support of this conference in honor of the
memory of his parents, Lillian and Stuart P. Atkins. We are also
grateful to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at UIC for its
support of this conference.

Proposals are due 7 March 2011. The organizers encourage interested
participants to submit individual papers or papers grouped together by
theme into a panel consisting of three papers. If submitting a paper
for a panel, please include the proposed title of the panel and the
names of the other participants in your submission. Please note that
each paper must be uploaded separately. You will hear by 4 April
whether your proposal has been accepted.

To submit a conference proposal, please click on the link and follow
the instructions: http://www2.las.uic.edu/depts/germ/pat/.