With apologies for cross-postings.

Please take note of the new deadline.

Best wishes,

Sonja Klocke

CROSSING GERMANIA: Dialogues in Queer German Studies

Crossing Germania is a forum for the exchange of questions, positions, and ideas in Queer German Studies. A peer-reviewed, open-access dialogic journal, Crossing Germania explores queer approaches to all aspects of literature, culture, theory, and pedagogy relevant to Germanic contexts. Contributions consider intersections between Queer Studies and German Studies, including intermedial, transdisciplinary, and idiosyncratic methodologies. Crossing Germania negotiates and reflects on challenges, subversions, and transformations of these intersections in and for the 21st century.

Call for Papers: Special Inaugural Issue

The editors of Crossing Germania are delighted to announce a special inaugural issue entitled “What’s queer in/about German Studies now?” We invite contributions that examine intersections between German Studies and Queer Studies in any area of literature, culture, theory, and pedagogy relevant to Germanic contexts. Because the journal issue seeks to stimulate discussion on unconventional approaches to and with the word “queer,” pieces that articulate open questions or take polemical stances are especially welcome. On an ongoing basis, the editors of Crossing Germania are interested in submissions that consider global as well as local approaches to the “big questions” about the histories, identities, and ambitions of our discipline:

·    What is German Studies and what status do queer subjects and approaches have in the discipline?

·    How might interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity, as well as mobility across media, be supported or contested by notions of queer?

·    How can we historicize the term “queer” for German Studies - what is the trajectory of queer in German Studies?

·    How - and why - have German Studies developed different relationships to Gender Studies and Queer Studies - within the discipline as well as in comparison to other disciplines? And what about the difference between such tendencies in Germanistik and German Studies?

·    Are Queer Studies and queer theory still alive? What is new in Queer Studies 20 years after its creation?

·    What does queer pedagogy mean today? How can we envision and mobilize a queer language teaching or a queer linguistics? Is “queer” a relevant category of analysis for undergraduate students? How can we imagine queering the textual corpus in our scholarly and pedagogical toolbox (the literary canon and textbooks we teach, as well as the objects of our research)?

Interested contributors should send 500-word proposals in English to [log in to unmask] by March 1, 2011. We will respond with statements of interest in your article in April.

Journal Editors:

Sonja Klocke, Knox College ([log in to unmask])

Carrie Smith-Prei, University of Alberta ([log in to unmask])

Faye Stewart, Georgia State University ([log in to unmask])

--
Dr. Sonja E. Klocke
Assistant Professor of German