cross-postings.

Please take note of the new
deadline.

Best wishes,

Sonja Klocke

CROSSING GERMANIA: Dialogues in Queer
German Studies

Crossing Germania is a forum for the
exchange of questions, positions, and ideas in Queer German Studies. A
peer-reviewed, open-access dialogic journal, Crossing Germania explores queer
approaches to all aspects of literature, culture, theory, and pedagogy relevant
to Germanic contexts. Contributions consider intersections between Queer
Studies and German Studies, including intermedial, transdisciplinary, and
idiosyncratic methodologies. Crossing Germania negotiates and reflects on
challenges, subversions, and transformations of these intersections in and for
the 21st century.

Call for Papers: Special Inaugural Issue

The editors of Crossing Germania are
delighted to announce a special inaugural issue entitled “What’s queer in/about
German Studies now?” We invite contributions that examine intersections between
German Studies and Queer Studies in any area of literature, culture, theory,
and pedagogy relevant to Germanic contexts. Because the journal issue seeks to
stimulate discussion on unconventional approaches to and with the word “queer,”
pieces that articulate open questions or take polemical stances are especially
welcome. On an ongoing basis, the editors of Crossing Germania are interested
in submissions that consider global as well as local approaches to the “big
questions” about the histories, identities, and ambitions of our discipline:

·
What is German Studies and what status do queer subjects and
approaches have in the discipline?

·
How might interdisciplinarity and transdisciplinarity, as well as
mobility across media, be supported or contested by notions of queer?

·
How can we historicize the term “queer” for German Studies - what
is the trajectory of queer in German Studies?

·
How - and why - have German Studies developed different
relationships to Gender Studies and Queer Studies - within the discipline as
well as in comparison to other disciplines? And what about the difference
between such tendencies in Germanistik and German Studies?

·
Are Queer Studies and queer theory still alive? What is new in
Queer Studies 20 years after its creation?

·
What does queer pedagogy mean today? How can we envision and
mobilize a queer language teaching or a queer linguistics? Is “queer” a
relevant category of analysis for undergraduate students? How can we imagine queering the
textual corpus in our scholarly and pedagogical toolbox (the literary canon and
textbooks we teach, as well as the objects of our research)?

Interested contributors should send 500-word
proposals in English to [log in to unmask] by March 1, 2011. We
will respond with statements of interest in your article in April.

Journal Editors:

Sonja Klocke, Knox
College ([log in to unmask])

Carrie Smith-Prei,
University of Alberta ([log in to unmask])

Faye Stewart,
Georgia State University ([log in to unmask])

--
Dr. Sonja E. Klocke
Assistant Professor of German