CALL FOR PAPERS

The 35th Annual Conference of the German Studies Association
September 22-25, 2011
Louisville, Kentucky

THE PEDAGOGY OF GERMAN IN A GLOBAL CONTEXT

In light of the multifaceted pressures on German studies in global
higher education, this set of interdisciplinary panels aims to focus on
the meaning of German studies for scholars, teachers and students alike.
What knowledge do we produce both individually and collectively and how
do we translate it into transferable skills? What role does language
instruction play on all levels of the undergraduate and graduate
curricula and how might translation figure in cultivating German
studies, undermining global English and enhancing cosmopolitan
citizenship? In what form do we invite colleagues and students to
"transcend" the particularity of German studies, which is to say, how
might we "consolidate" the heterogeneity of our subfields into a
synergistic force for ourselves and before administrators? How do we
reintegrate research, teaching and service in the twenty-first century?
While the AATG and MLA have put forth helpful guidelines for responding
to these questions and others, there are disciplinary complexities and
institutional challenges that call for specific articulation and
particular responsibility, all of which touch upon a wide range of
criteria, resources and strengths. Proposals for papers and panels that
consider theoretical concerns are particularly welcome.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

- issues of globalization that are critical to German studies
- aesthetic, ethical and moral concerns with pursuing German studies in
global modernity
- curriculum design and learning outcome
- undergraduate and graduate advising
- sources of funding and affiliated programs
- language instruction and examples of film, history, literature, media
and politics, among others, in integrating various sensitivities to the
world
- the European Union and other transnational bodies of organization
- outreach, promotion and study-abroad programs

Please send your abstract (300 words, double-spaced) to David D. Kim at
[log in to unmask] by February 10, 2011. Please note that all presenters at
the conference must be GSA members. More information is available at the
GSA website: www.thegsa.org.

--
David D. Kim
Assistant Professor of German