CALL FOR PAPERS

The 35th Annual Conference of the German Studies Association
September 22-25, 2011
Louisville, Kentucky

The Pedagogy of German in a Global Context

In light of the multifaceted pressures on German studies in global higher education, this set of interdisciplinary panels aims to focus on the meaning of German studies for scholars, teachers and students alike. What knowledge do we produce both individually and collectively and how do we translate it into transferable skills? What role does language instruction play on all levels of the undergraduate and graduate curricula and how might translation figure in cultivating German studies, undermining global English and enhancing cosmopolitan citizenship? In what form do we invite colleagues and students to “transcend” the particularity of German studies, which is to say, how can we “consolidate” the heterogeneity of our subfields into a synergistic force for ourselves and before administrators? How do we reintegrate research, teaching and service in the twenty-first century? While the AATG and MLA have put forth helpful guidelines for responding to these questions and others, there are disciplinary complexities and institutional challenges that call for specific articulation and particular responsibility, all of which touch upon a wide range of criteria, resources and strengths. Proposals for papers and panels that consider theoretical concerns are particularly welcome.

Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- issues of globalization that are critical to German studies
- aesthetic, ethical and moral concerns with pursuing German studies in global modernity
- curriculum design and learning outcome
- undergraduate and graduate advising
- sources of funding and affiliated programs
- language instruction and examples of film, history, literature, media and politics, among others, in integrating various sensitivities to the world
- the European Union and other transnational bodies of organization
- outreach, promotion and study-abroad programs

Please send your abstract (300 words, double-spaced) to David D. Kim at [log in to unmask] by February 10, 2011. Please note that all presenters at the conference must be GSA members. More information is available at the GSA website: www.thegsa.org.

--
David D. Kim
Assistant Professor of German