Chilly Greetings!

Trusting everyone's Christmas was a good one, staying warm and all!

Was able to finally get back out to Otter Slough to see how much ice coverage was there - quite a bit; however, Cypress Lake is still open.

There was at least one Double-crested Cormorant on Cypress Lake actively fishing and skirtting a semi-large raft of Ring-necked Ducks with a few Redheads in the mix.

On the boardwalk, feeding in a mixed flock with Golden-crowned Kinglets and C. Chickadees were a minimum of two (2) possibly a third) Orange-crowned Warblers. They were concentrating their efforts on the ground around the melted edge areas where the leaf litter was damp. If interested, I will have an image (or two) of one individual on my webshots page later this evening in the "Other Birds" album.

Also of note: A large blackbird roost (predominately Common Grackles) has been staging between Lemmon's Landfill and Holly Ridge CA. A word of warning - WEAR A HAT if in the area! Better yet, stay in your vehicle to best avoid second hand exposure to their presence! Their numbers are guesstimated to be about 30,000-50,000.

Good Winter Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.