I had good looks at a rough legged hawk not far from the visitors center at Columbia bottoms around 1:00 today. I just assumed it was the same bird everyone has been seeing along confluence road.

This bird was perched on an extremely small branch harassing a red tailed hawk.

Paul McCaslin
------Original Message------
From: Randy Korotev
Sender: Missouri Wild Bird Forum
To: [log in to unmask]
ReplyTo: Randy Korotev
Subject: Sunday winter birds @ StL
Sent: Dec 27, 2010 5:05 PM

Here are a couple of photos from Sunday:

http://levee.wustl.edu/~rlk/images/HoLa_LaLo_CBCA.jpg
http://levee.wustl.edu/~rlk/images/RlHa_CoSP_4x.jpg

The Horned Larks and Lapland Longspurs are from Columbia Bottom CA,
St. Louis Co.  There were 10 Trumpeter Swans at Columbia Bottom.

The Rough-legged Hawk is from Confluence State Park, St. Chuck Co
(like Mike Thelan said, where the snow plows are parked).  Thanks to
Barb and Paul Johnson for getting me to actually LOOK at the perched
bird, which I was ready to pass of as yet-another Red-tail.  We saw
this bird about 1.5 miles from where I saw the Columbia Bottom RoLH
last weekend, so it may be the same bird.

There were tens of thousands of starlings along MO-367 approaching
Riverlands.  I hope someone counts them all next weekend for the
Confluence CBC.  :)

Randy Korotev
Saint Louis, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/