From: bryan prather <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Juvenile Eastern Red-tail? Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, December 20, 2010, 6:42 PM

This raptor was observed today-in fact all day at RMBS.  What struck me as interesting was its hovering behavior along highway 367 and the berms.  There was much pumping of the wings, hovering if you will, that I am not as accustomed to seeing in our Red-tails.  Almost like a giant Kestrel.  In good conscience, I can't call this bird a Western juvie, yet its behavior was unique.  The following photos/video is yours to discern.  Please let me know your thoughts, on/off list.   I believe it is a juvenile Eastern Red-tail.  Fun, non-the-less!!

Thanks in advance,
Bryan Prather
St.Louis, Co Mo.

http://mobirds.org/