Back yard is quiet except for a loud( first clue) chip note, which I heard from inside.. So I look out. nobody around.. So I go out and listen.. CHIP.. CHIP... (second clue, didn't leave), I start walking around.. still going..going.. finally I spot the bird in a bush, keeping on CHIPPING... soon there is a lower,rasper sound across the yard.. not as loud, but loud...   got it?
   Those Carolina wrens are at it again.  I don't usually hear them chipping.. that's what took me astray.. with many sparrows in my yard, chip usually means sparrow..  in the distance the blue jay is calling.. better start watching for a hawk.

Jane Allen
St. Louis County