Ken wrote:

> It's like that old
> game of whispering something in the ear of the person next to you, who
> whispers into the ear of the next person, and the next and so on. By the
> time it gets back to you, it will probably be substantially changed, if
> not morphed out of all recognition. Don't you think this is a high
> possibility with the "notes" referred to in "Painted Shadow"?

The Painted Shadow item (page 562) that I had in mind is a quote Seymour-Jones cites from Michael Hastings introduction to "Tom and Viv". The passage from the Seymour-Jones  book regarding Vivenne's bother Maurice is:

Maurice was Vivienne's heir by her will of 1936. But although her death would benefit him, it also brought him anguish, as he confessed to Michael Hastings:

"It was only when I saw Viv in the asylum for the last time I realized I had done something very wrong. She was as sane as I was. She said, 'God knows that may not amount to much, Maurice, but I'm as sane as you are', and I did what I hadn't done for years. I sat in front of Vivie and actually burst into tears. . . What Tom and I did was wrong. And Mother. I did everything Tom told me to. Not ashamed to say so. But when it came to our family, I think he bit off more than he could chew. He didnít understand the rules, actually. You see -- you have to be kind to Vivie."

It certainly sounds like a statement of heartfelt deep regret to me. It would be quite a garbled whispering game if Maurice actually told Hastings something that was, in fact, not intended to convey such regret. Are you thinking that Hastings is grossly misquoting Maurice or is making up the quote?

-- Tom --