From: Charlene Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RMBS - Surf & Black Scoters
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 3:13 PM

Quick trip to Riverlands MBS, St. Chas. co before the weather
turned bad and late afternoon turkey dinner:

3 BLACK DUCKS - large raft of mostly dabblers on both sides of
Ellis Island.

one SURF SCOTER - raft of ducks just upstream from the Clark Bridge
Two spots on the side of head and no white in the wings when it flew. Out in the River, so probably on the IL side technically.
4 BLACK SCOTERS (female, juv. type) - viewed from Linc. Shields parking lot near the
new observation tower and Confederate Soldier Monument.
(thanks Bill!).....That observation deck looks to have little to no protection
from the precip and/or wind so wear the woolies if observing from there.
Most of the ducks were in the River/perimeter of Linc. Shields, juusst far enough
from the reach of the duck hunters guns.
Nice large raft actually.
Might have to go up on the levee to see all the birds. They were floating
down stream some and then they would fly back to Linc. Shields.

Might be something else there because viewing was brutal even in the car. We got
stiff winds straight out of the north with freezing rain/snow pelting both of us, even though I was
riding shotgun. Birds were hard to see as they were bobbing up and down in the choppy water.

Oh yeah, would not be turkey day without seeing some.
4 WILD TURKEYS on the IL side along Hwy 143.
Bonies, Hoodies and Ruddys in Teal Pond, very few gulls seen elsewhere.

BTW, Steve Dilks e-mailed to say there was a THAYER'S GULL at RMBS
on Sunday. May have been a juvie at the dam today (of the 4-5 birds total on the wall)
I am not sure of my bird. Had to get out of Dodge due to weather deteriorating.

Happy Turkey Day to all!
Charlene Malone
St. L co.

http://mobirds.org/