I birded Thomas Hill CA (Macon and Randolph Co.) and Long Branch SP
(Macon Co.) today (11/14/10). Lots of birds. Both lakes held numerous
waterfowl and brushy field edges at Thomas Hill had many sparrows.
Overall great birding.
Highlights:
Thomas Hill:
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER - 2 seen from the cove at the end of Co Rd A2
looking east towards the "Gull Point". My first thought was surf
scoter, but I soon saw the white patches on the wings of both birds.
One bird had more pronouced white cheek spots than the other, which
was slightly darker overall.
Bufflehead - 1 (FOS)
Most other common divers and dabblers. Could not find a single greater
scoup among numerous lesser scoup. Maybe it is still early.
Common loon - 2
Horned grebe - 2
Bounapart's gull
Franklin's gull - 8
Herring gull - 1
WILSON"S SNIPE - 2 in a muflat in a cove 0.5 mi S of junction of Hwy 3
and T. My first for this area.
Sparrows: white-throated, white-crowned, song, fox, swamp, dark-eyed juncos.
Loggerhead shrike - 1 along Hwy 3
Lots of red-tailed hawks in the fields, 1 northern harrier, 2
kestrels, 1 bald eagle.

Long Branch SP
Red-breasted merganser - 4
Hooded merganser - 5
American wigeon - 2
Most other common divers and dabblers.
Common loon - 10.  I tried hard to make one bird into a Pacific, but
could not. It had a slightly smaller bill and seemed to have a
necklace, but when I saw it close to another common they were about
the same size:-(
Horned grebe - 8
Bounapart's gull
Franklin's gull - 8
The numbers of ring-billed gulls are building up at Long Branch. There
were probably over 1500 birds roosting on the lake tonight. Did not
find any unusual species.

Full data on CACHE and SPARKS.
Later,
--