The current debate in UK is about more immigration.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Carrol Cox
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: George Orwell's take on the subject

Mikemail wrote:

Coincidentally, in yesterday's Financial Times there was a letter from a chap in S.Africa about the misuse of words to describe prejudices.

He referred particularly to the immigration issue in UK and said that many people, for example, were not anti-immigration but anti-more immigration.

 He concluded by saying that we should follow the example of George Orwell who had spoken clearly and objectively about such things.

Unfortunately, I left the newspaper in a hotel in Dubai.

Mike

===

Thatís a rather silly distinction. The debate, whether in the u.s. or in the u.k. is about _present_ immigration. To use that distinction is equivalent to saying: Iíve got mine, now fuck you.

It would be cheering to get back to actually talking about Eliotís poems Ė after all, the list wouldnít exist except for those poems.  And Eliot, being dead, cares not whether people think heís a saint or a devi.

Incidentally, a considered judgment with reasons given, may well be quite wrong, but itís juvenile to call a conscious judgment a prejudice.

Carrol