Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10054, phase=RECEIVE, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.0 - TSE Archives

The current debate in UK is about more immigration.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Carrol Cox
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:18 PM
  Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Re: George Orwell's take on the subject

  Mikemail wrote:

  Coincidentally, in yesterday's Financial Times there was a letter from a chap in S.Africa about the misuse of words to describe prejudices.

  He referred particularly to the immigration issue in UK and said that many people, for example, were not anti-immigration but anti-more immigration.

   He concluded by saying that we should follow the example of George Orwell who had spoken clearly and objectively about such things.

  Unfortunately, I left the newspaper in a hotel in Dubai.

  Mike

  ===

  That's a rather silly distinction. The debate, whether in the u.s. or in the u.k. is about _present_ immigration. To use that distinction is equivalent to saying: I've got mine, now fuck you.

  It would be cheering to get back to actually talking about Eliot's poems - after all, the list wouldn't exist except for those poems.  And Eliot, being dead, cares not whether people think he's a saint or a devi.

  Incidentally, a considered judgment with reasons given, may well be quite wrong, but it's juvenile to call a conscious judgment a prejudice.

  Carrol