Unless you already know it, Mike, the Roman fort on Hardknott Pass between Eskdale and Wrynose Bottom / Langdale is a very evocative place indeed.

(So, in a very very different way, is the site of Buchenwald Concentration Camp near Weimar in Thuringia, Germany: even all the birds of the forest seem not to want to sing around there - a chilling place indeed, with it's sinister gate proclaiming 'Arbeit Macht Frei' and the concrete and wire fences and the crematorium still as they were.)

regards

David

On 1 November 2010 10:22, Mike Callaghan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
When I first came upon Stonehenge c.1959 I was walking from Salisbury and will never forget turning the corner on the road from Amesbury and suddenly seeing, on the open plain-the stones.  I don't think it looks half as dramatic these days, maybe wider roads and the fence around it.
Similarly, some 'monuments' which I used to play on as a kid are now tourist attractions.  My prime example is the water wheel which formed part of the lead mines in Weardale and is now the Killhope Big Wheel and is visited by 1000's (includes a trip down the lead mine).
I can't match David's experience  but I remember when I was a teenager visting a Roman fort late at night (again these places were open then) Corstopitum or Corbridge as it is now known.  An eerie experience, but I think more to do with my perception.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, Nov 1, 2010 12:07 pm
Subject: Re: The Art of TS Eliot

I confess to a strong fascination with Stonehenge/Arthurian mythology.
It is a sense of connection to the subconscious or something.

I made a point of seeing it along with Salisbury Cathedral.
My first impressions were of disappointment. I had made it so big in my imagination,
and it seemed so human and down to earth. Still, givwen what we know
of it's construction, it is quite phenomenal.

Cheers,
Peter