We were also very pleased to see him at the Abbot Hall Gallery in Kendal, where his wife, Cate Haste, was giving a talk about her recent biography of the Cumbrian modern painter Sheila Fell RA, and that Melvyn had been moved to travel oop North from his Parliamentary duties in order to back up his missus.

regards

David

On 7 November 2010 18:58, mikemail <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Where would we be without Radio 4! great  stuff.  I listen as much as I can (via Internet here) and invariably to your past neighbour Lord Bragg, whose weekly discussions can be
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">David Boyd
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, November 07, 2010 9:24 PM
Subject: Re: looking at prose, poetically

Hi Carrol and CR

Most coincidentally, I travelled down the road in the automobile where the radio is permanently switched on, and BBC Radio 4 was interviewing Claire Tomalin. Hardy's letest and most-distinguished biographer.

She'd previouslt delivered a talk at a literary festival in our locality, and was most impressive.

She made the point that Hardy had been born a High Victorian, c. 1840 yet had lasted until the 'roaring 1920s' , so (my inference) he was a predecessor to TSE in tradition, but was already (her inference) starting to question traditional High Victorian values surrounding the role of women; the total sanctity of marriage and so forth.

Claire T also observed that she saw in particular 'Far from the Madding Crowd' as a pro-feminist and generally-hope-filled work, compared with some of the more pessimistic, fateful, ones (such as 'Tess')

And that Hardy himself had been a most-talented child of rural artisans, who'd 'made it good' in Society, yet had never lost his somewhat dol;eful view of the world-as-it-was (despite much toying with the-world-as-he-would-have-liked-it to-be in such as the 'Emma' Poems.

- fascinating stuff !