On 11/26/2010 6:22 PM, Nancy Gish wrote:
> Carrol, you will probably like this (I do, in fact).  On the other
> hand, MacDiarmid supported Stalin and others as killing
> necessarily--rather astonishing and terrible.  He was an enigma.

    A bit of, not to get too technical, a nutcase, it seems, tho
creative types often exhibit the tendency to veer off into unsupportable
and not quite sane behavior. Eliot did publish him in The Criterion,
which, now that I think of it, could probably be spun in any direction
as regards Eliot's own predilections. But he does seem to have had a
rather admirable record with minor poets (Eliot had, that is).

Ken A