Jerry had a BBQ judging gig in Butler (Bates Co.), so we packed up
lunches, birding gear and an extra box of tissues for my raging cold
and headed to Butler via a three day BDR.  Birded some in Camden,
Polk, Cedar, Barton, Vernon and Bates counties, including visits to
Ha Ha Tonka SP (meeting Jeff Cantrell there), Prairie SP, Shawnee
Trail CA, Bushwhacker Lake CA and Osage Prairie CA.

Surprises/birds of note included:  Two Purple Finches--1 each at
Caplinger Mill Park and Harmony Mission Lake CA; eight Pine Siskins
feeding on prairie flower/grass seedheads at Mon-Shon Prairie CA near
the Kansas line; Harris's Sparrows in several places (they really are
more common on the west side of the state); a Loggerhead Shrike at
Risch CA in northern Barton Co.; a few single Lincoln's Sparrows,
several Swamps, and lots and lots of Savannahs; many Northern
Harriers including four immatures who were doing an aggressive ballet
presumably to the benefit of the critters below who had a chance to
flee; real ducks on Butler City Lake.

There are some excellent birding venues in Missouri's western
counties, easily accessed off of US 71.  We skipped several of the
"big name" places to have enough time to sample others.  If you have
the opportunity to head that way, try some of these places for a
change of "birding diet".

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO

http://mobirds.org/