Thanks to all for the information on the phoebes. I had several responses, all indicating that phoebes are not especially uncommon through the winter in Missouri. I had checked a couple of range maps before I posted - both on WhatBird and Cornell - and they indicated that the phoebe is a breeding bird only in most of the state, so that's what led me to believe my visitor at the office should have been on his way out of the area. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from more experienced birders on this list serve.

Thank you,

Amy J. Hoffman

From: Lawrence Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, October 27, 2010 8:21:14 PM
Subject: Re: phoebe

Amy,
Not sure if anyone ventured an opinion about phoebes.
There are a few Eastern Phoebes that are found on the CBC's each year
here in Missouri.  Joplin has had one on four of the last 10 CBC's for example.
The winter before last there was one in January at the MSSU wetland.  It was
trying to find insects at an open spring.  Temp. was 10 or 20 F.!
Not sure if those critters make it through the winter.  That is the next question.
Banding them may help to find the answer to that question over time.
Good birding,  Larry Herbert,  Joplin, Jasper County, MO.  certhiaATatt.net