When we were living in Californina - we saw a lot of predation on their nests by Cooper's Hawks, as well as that of Kingbird nests.

We regularly monitored L. Shrike nests and on several occasions - saw Cooper's on them.

John Hansen
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Bob Fisher
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, October 23, 2010 9:58 PM
Subject: N. Shrike - discussion topic

On October 21, someone posted a Northern Shrike to the Iowa list. For most of the 38 years that I have lived in Missouri, I have thought of Northern Shrike as an irruptive species that makes it to our state in numbers of more than one or two only occasionally. Yet there have been so many reports of NOSH in recent years that I'm beginning to suspect that they are annual migrants to Iowa and Northern Missouri. Perhaps they have been here all along during most winters. We're just finding more of them now because we've learned to expect them and more people have learned how to identify them.

Does anyone agree? Disagree? Have a third perspective?

Meanwhile, Loggerhead Shrike numbers seem to be falling, both in summer and in winter. Does anyone have any ideas about that?

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/
ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/