Ed, Karsten and I worked the headquarters today, and we did the loop twice,
although not a "hard" loop.  Pretty casual birding, as we didn't bring our
scope. (What were we THINKING?)

It is indeed too early for the Snow Geese, since they  need to be frozen out
of their feeding area north of here before they move down.  If you want to
see where the geese are, you can check the websites for Sand Lake NWR in ND
http://www.fws.gov/sandlake/index.htm  then click on Hunting/Migration for
updated counts.  From there, many of the geese stop at DeSoto NWR
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/desoto   then click on Migration and see counts
and "Where are the Snow Geese?"

At the refuge today, we saw good numbers of Pintail, Mallard, tons of Coots,
some Shovelers, plenty of Green-winged Teal, decent numbers of Wigeon and
Gadwall, some pelicans, a smattering of Wood ducks, plenty of Greater
White-fronted geese and the usuals;  Great Blue herons, Pied-billed grebes,
Canada geese etc.  We saw one immature Bald eagle, a female harrier.  Our
best bird of the day was a Common Moorhen in basic plumage.

Not a bad day, certainly, but more impressive birding days are still to
come.

Heidi McCullough

Kansas City, North (Platte Co.)