Eleven birders turned out for the birding trip to St. Stanilaus Conservation
Area in St. Louis County on Wednesday Oct 27.  This included three Russians
- one was a grad student studying chemistry at UMSL and the others were
friends of his from Moscow.  What a surprise and they were delightful to
have along.  Fortunately, the predicted high wind held off while we were in
the field.

The highlights of the day must have been the acrobatic dogfights among some
raptors between 11 AM and noon.  First we had a Bald Eagle and a Red-tailed
Hawk going at it with the hawk chasing the eagle and, when they came back
into view, the eagle was chasing the hawk.  Next there was a pasa doble
between a Red-tailed Hawk and what one observer felt was a Northern Harrier
as he thought that he had seen the white rump patch.  However, soon after
the birds disappeared behind some trees a Cooper's Hawk quickly emerged
heading back our way so we were uncertain as to the identity of the harrier.
Later, there were three different individual raptors diving at each other
and going around in circles in one area of the sky.  I think that we were
all so entranced that identification took a back seat except to say that
there was at least one Red-tail, probably a Cooper's Hawk and something
else.

THE BIRD LIST (yes, Edge, it will get to CACHE)

American Robin - 8
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 15
Tufted Titmouse - 1
American Goldfinch - 11
Carolina Wren - 2
Northern Flicker - 11
Eastern Towhee - 2
White-breasted Nuthatch - 2
American Crow - 2
Chickadee sp - 3
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3
Downy Woodpecker - 2
Dark-eyed Junco - 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2
White-Crowned Sparrow- 4
White-throated Sparrow - 37 (and probably many more in the moving flocks)
Swamp Sparrow - 6
Bald Eagle - 4
Red-tailed Hawk - 5
Red-shouldered Hawk - 1 (heard only)
Cooper's Hawk - 2
Northern Cardinal - 4
Indigo Bunting - 1
Blue Jay - 11
Northern Mockingbird - 1
American White Pelican - 11 (in distant flight)

John Solodar
University City
St. Louis County, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/