Lots of bird song this morning in the backyard.. In addition to the usual, was hearing some that seemed to run together.. you guessed it.. two northern mockingbirds, competing. Over the weekend, two very vocal Carolina wrens, one with the "song", the other with the buzz.. going back and forth to each other.
   Despite losing two mockers to hawks, still have them around. Lots of poke weed here, also dogwood berries.  There is indeed a lot of natural food out there.  I threw out some overly ripe grapes.. I know, could have made wine, but rather have the birds.
   A flock of eurasian tree sparrows have come in.  The young cardinals are maturing, lots of those.
  Fall is great, right?

Jane Allen
St. Louis County