The ST. LOUIS AUDUBON SOCIETY is sponsoring a field trip this Saturday to
Two Rivers NWR and Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary.  Please note the
start time.

DATE:  Saturday, October 16, 2010

OFFICIAL MEETING TIME:  7:30 a.m.  Note the NEW TIME compared to last year.

OFFICIAL MEETING PLACE:  Gilbert Lake parking lot at the downriver end of
the Gilbert Lake Division of the refuge, just past the Brussels Ferry, on
the left.

CARPOOLING:  Everyone is encouraged to carpool; however, there is no
official plan.  Teal Pond parking lot at Riverlands is a great place to meet
for those interested.  I will be driving from home directly to the Gilbert
Lake parking lot.

DIRECTIONS TO TEAL POND:  Take MO hwy 367 north from I-270, continuing north
on U.S. hwy 67.  Just before the Clark Bridge, turn right at the Fisca gas
station.  Go past the gas station and take the next right, Wise Rd.  Teal
Pond parking lot is on the right.

DIRECTIONS TO GILBERT LAKE:  From Alton, Illinois, go north on IL hwy 100,
the Great River Rd., through Grafton.  Watch for the Brussels Ferry and go
only a few hundred yards past the ferry.  The parking lot is on the left and
is well marked with a sign.

PLAN:  This is planned to be an all-day field trip; however, it will be
informal and casual.  Everyone should feel free to come and go as they
please.  We'll bird Gilbert Lake first then, as in past years, take a break
up at Pere Marquette SP, and we might bird some in that area.  We'll
backtrack to the Brussels ferry and head over to Calhoun County to bird
other areas of the refuge.  After lunch we'll exploit additional
opportunities in the refuge, then head back down the Great River road toward
Riverlands MBS.  The staff of Two Rivers NWR is planning their annual open
house event for Saturday, and there's usually a nice surprise or two, with
exhibits and access to parts of the refuge that otherwise would be closed
for waterfowl season.  I'm not planning to drive the Swan Lake levee road --
should it be open -- in order to allow plenty of time to bird Riverlands in
the afternoon.  Everyone is welcome, SLAS members and non-members, and we'll
be ready to greet members of the Great Rivers Audubon Society who are
planning to join us.

LUNCH:  Bring your own food and drink for a picnic lunch and snacks as you
desire.  As in past years, we'll try to take lunch on the deck of the refuge
HQ which is usually very pleasant.  If the weather isn't cooperating we'll
wing it but, as of right now, the forecast is fantastic.

LEADER:  Mike Thelen

COST:  Free

MORE INFO:  Contact me, or visit http://www.stlouisaudubon.org/

Mike Thelen
University City (St. Louis County), Missouri