Hello birding friends,

I have not posted in a while having not seen any new birds other than my everyday friends in the yard.  However, since the temperatures have been cooling my front and backyards have been very busy.  I still have at least 1 Ruby Throated Hummingbird visiting my Red Cardinal Flower and feeder.  I have many American Goldfinches feeding on the Purple Coneflower heads.  There is usually always White Breasted Nuthatch, Blackcapped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse and Downy Woodpeckers at the feeders.  For the last couple weeks there has also been a juvenile Eastern Phoebe in the backyard.  Yesterday I had to Bluebirds in the front yard for quite a while.

Today, after a doctors appointment, I decided I really needed ice cream and to sit by the water.  Binder Lake was the closest to where I was.  I came in to Binder on Rainbow and parked near the bridge.  I had spotted a juvenile Great Blue Heron in the lily pads near the bridge.  When I stopped, I notice what I thought was a weird looking hawk hovering on the wind.  I got my binoculars out and got really good looks at it.  My children used my field guide while eating carmel dip for their apples, so I had to call my other "field guide", Jonathan Pons.  Going from memory my first guess at the bird was Mississippi Kite till I told Jonathan it had a mask and just had caught a fish.  I had my first Osprey.  As I was watching I noticed a Belted Kingfisher in the same area.  I will say I am quite jealous of the Osprey.  I have never caught a fish from Binder Lake.  After seeing  a new bird, I was spurred on to see what else was there.  I drove down to the boat house near the dam.  There I saw a Double Crested Cormorant.

So now I think I will take a chance tomorrow to do a little fishing and birding.

Liza Loughridge

Jefferson City, MO

Cole County