 This morning, Mark McKellar of the Backyard Bird Center in Kansas City, North, led an outing to Smithville Lake in Clay Co.  It was a very quiet morning, not really very birdy, but we did see a nice assortment of species.   Members of the group saw or heard the following:
   Pied-billed Grebes
   Double-crested Cormorants - about 10-12
   Great Blue Heron - 1
   Canada Geese - > 20
   Turkey Vultures  - about 8-10
   Osprey - 1
   Red-tailed Hawk - 1
   American Kestrel - 1
   American Coots - many
   Killdeer - 6
   Franklin's Gulls - > 1000  Many were arriving at the Little Platte Marina as we watched
   Ring-billed Gulls
   Belted Kingfisher - 2
   Red-bellied Woodpecker
   Northern Flicker (heard)
   Eastern Phoebe
   American Crows - 4
   Eastern Bluebird (heard)
   Yellow-rumped Warblers - 2
   Eastern Towhee (heard)
   Eastern Meadowlarks - 4

It was a lovely morning to be out looking for birds.

Susan Seyboth
Kansas City, MO