On Sep 21, 2010, at 9:06 PM, Lawrence Herbert wrote:

...never use feet to capture prey.

We got super views of the LTJA's black and pink WEBBED feet.  Kinda difficult to capture prey with webbed feet.

Yup, I've seen them hovering kestrel-like over the "hairy bowling ball" hill out of Nome as they hunted and guarded nesting sites.

Yup, I've been on boats to which they came, attracted by the gulls and shearwaters attracted by fish oil laden chum.

Yup, I watched the Smithville bird gobble POPCORN, clearly preferring it to the chips (sans salsa) offered.

Yup, it was reported as picking dead fish off the surface on a previous day.

If the bird is still there when you go, watch the gull activity.  Search the surface carefully (but the bird may not be visible with chop conditions), and when you scan the sky, scan high.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO