From: Bob Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sun, September 19, 2010 9:10:28 PM
Subject: Jaeger ID and the Jaeger is ...

Tim, Josh, Doug and now Kristi herself have opined that the Smithville bird is a
Parasitic. Let me make the case for Long-tailed Jaeger using Kristi's photo.
Perhaps it will help folks taking the pelagic trip tomorrow know what to look
for.

First of all, we have a great photo to work with. Here are some comments re what
can be seen on the photo:

General comment: Kristi's bird is a light morph juvenile of whatever species it
is.

Head color:  The bird has a pale head, which is characteristic of first year
Long-tailed Jaegers.

Bill size: The bill appears to compare satisfactorily with LTJA bills.

See
e.g. http://www.kayniyo.com/images/trip_alaska_2003/658LongtailedJaeger3702.jpg

 http://www.pabirds.org/images/Photos/080907Long-tailedJaeger3.jpg

Parasitic's have bills that are longer in proportion to their thickness. See
e.g. http://bkpass.tripod.com/PAJA62903BR.jpg

http://www.arkive.org/media/B1/B1254430-54BD-49AC-B115-0FA38E7FAF5E/Presentation.Large/Parasitic-jaeger-dark-phase.jpg

Nape markings: According to Sibley, Parasitic has a streaked nape. See
e.g. http://www.focusonnature.com/BirdLi757.jpg LTJA has an unpatterned nape.
The Smithville bird's nape looks unstreaked.

Feather  edgings: Both species have pale feather edgings, but Sibley describes
Parasitic's as "buffy feather edges" and LTJA's as "usually obvious pale feather
edges". Kristi's bird has pale, but not buffy, edges.

General plumage coloration:  Kristi's bird fits Sibley's "Juvenile cold grayish"
for LTJA versus "Juvenile usually has obvious cinnamon tones  in plumage" for
Parasitic. See e.g. the cinnamon tones in PAJA depicted in
http://www.birdzilla.com/images/stories/lavaty/parasitic-jaeger.jpg

White in primaries: Kristi's bird has very little white in primaries, as one
would expect of LTJA. Parasitic should have a lot more.

See e.g.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_E5uf0AiTz0k/SHLFK0eRyvI/AAAAAAAABm0/9g5ctjQrwfQ/DSC06804.JPG

http://www.birdzilla.com/images/stories/lavaty/parasitic-jaeger.jpg

Careful examination of Tim's, Josh's and even Kristi's revised ID disclose a lot
of subjective stuff (e.g. "bulky bird, not slender looking") from people who see
Jaegers only very rarely.

There is one mark favoring Parasitic that Kristi's first photo may show, but
which cannot be seen in the more recent photo. The central tail feathers of a
juvenile Parasitic should be pointed. Those of a LTJA should be blunt. I'll be
looking for those tomorrow.

Bob Fisher
Independence, MO