Kristi - Thanks for finding a great bird that makes us open our ornithological
libraries!  I now have a mess in my living room.  Great find - and the first for
Missouri in many years - Awesome!

Wanted to add to what Kristi wrote:

I watched the Jaeger this morning from a little after 6:30 to 9:40, albeit never
closer than 350 yards.  However, a few times I got to see it in pretty good
light even with the incredible overcast.  I have very little Jaeger experience,
but I do have some.  Jaegers are a very tough ID - that is no secret.  Also one
that the overall behavior and gizz goes along way in identifying.  I took a lot
of notes, here are a few – which I think really aides in identifying the bird at
Smithville:

- Tail length shorter than width of arm (this was consistent).
- Very aggressive bird, this bird chased an Osprey, a Bald Eagle, Ring-billed
Gulls, at least 1 Bonaparte's Gull, Franklin's Gulls, and even Black Terns.
Almost every time the few gulls rose off the water this morning, the jaeger was
in the middle.  This bird wasn't playing, it was chasing them.
- Never observed this bird flying 'tern' like, at best it flew falcon like -
Quick, shallow wingbeats.  Not buoyant at all making the body lifting with each
wingbeat, which is what I would expect with Long-tailed.
- Sitting on the water, it is a bulky bird, not slender looking.
- In flight, very barrell chested, again not slender looking.
- Although the flash in the upper wing is very limited.  It certainly appeared
to have a crescent at times.  But, definitely whiter toward the outer
primaries.

Anyways, I think the above observations are key in the identification of the
Smithville bird.

Josh

 Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO