I agree with the long-tailed jaeger ID. As I mentioned in my original
e-mail, unlike Josh's observation I thought the bird looked small and
gracile (definitively not bulky) - Bob Fisher's comment about how
subjective this character is, is definitively applicable here!. The
bird sat kinda high in the water and looked long-bodied and not
barrel-chested. Even at great distance I could see the very pale
unstreaked nape and neck. I thought the behavior on water (some
swirling) could be also indicative of the long-tailed, but the fact
that it mobbed the osprey sure did not! The Birds of Western
Palearctic Bird Identification Book shows a very similarly plumaged
very pale imm. long-tailed jaeger and the wing pattern is consistent
with Kristi's photo. One more thing. The Smithville jaeger does not
have the dark brown chestnut coloration that I've seen in parasitic
jaegers (mostly from books plus my limited personal experience with
this species), the plumage is overall much more grayish.
Great discussion!
PK

--
Peter Kondrashov